Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Discovering The Truth Behind Dreams

Every human on the planet dreams every time they reach REM during their sleep cycle. This moment is characterized by heighten brain activity, major muscle paralysis, increase heart rate and eye movement. For many these dreams are soon forgotten once the day starts and voluntary thoughts begin to rush in. Dreams are involuntary images, sounds and situations our subconscious mind creates in order to communicate to our conscious mind. Many people suggest that dreams are an expression of vast imagination and artistic development, but I think dreams are much more than that. I believe all dreams are coded messages about things that are affecting our external and internal journeys in life. 

When I started writing in my journey journal early in the morning, before getting out of bed, I noticed that I started to remember my dreams more vividly. As I started writing each entry in the notebook, I always had one idea, image or feeling in mind. When I started to write a description of this ideas or feeling, other details, words or images started to pour out of my brain. They invaded me so fast that my hand couldn't keep up. I remembered a great vast of details and more amazingly I could connect them to my external and internal journeys. For example I dreamt that I was being chased throughout my whole neighborhood and I couldn’t reach my house. In this dream I felt scared, anxious and exhausted. I knew this had to do with the fact that I would receive my MCAT scores later on the week and I was very scared on how I would do. Catching on these little symbols our brain sends give us great incite on how to manage our fears or what our true desires are. They have helped me cope with both my internal and external journeys. 




I have never had any difficulties remembering the overall story of my dreams, but I had problems catching the small details. Now I understand that these details are of great importance, because most of the time they are little hidden messages waiting to be uncoded. By following the guidelines given by my literature professor for remembering dreams, I have been able to uncover a new world. I can now interpret my dreams and nightmares to a greater extent. I have the tools to guide me towards the correct message my subconscious is trying to send. I hope to continue this exercise in order to help me understand how my external and internal journeys coincide. 


P.S. I would also want to try to control my dreams and see if this is possible. I have added a video that talks about this. Let's see how many of you try and succeed at this task!   


2 comments:

  1. Good post! It's interesting how you defined dreams as "coded messages". It must be our goal interpret our dreams and look for its symbolism. The journal activity helped me to develop that kind of skill. By the way, I also had the dream you describe here many years ago. Being chased in a dream is something terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get to remember my dreams. I would love to decode my dreams and see what my inner self wants to tell me.

    ReplyDelete